Thursday, October 06, 2011

Am I well-adjusted to death, or am I just cold-hearted?

Sometimes I wonder. Death is sad, yes...but it is also inevitable. Considering the manner in which other people grieve (especially at the loss of those they didn't know personally), I feel as though we assume immortality is a given. But it isn't.
Jāti-paccaya jarāmaraṇa
"With Birth as condition, Ageing and Death arise"
I feel awkward for not feeling the need to announce my condolences to the world. I feel awkward for thinking "the world keeps spinning". I feel awkward for thinking "would you mourn as much for the stranger who died in a road traffic accident?". It's not that I value the contribution of those who have passed any less, but I don't see how a public display of attachment and suffering is going to change anything.

Maybe sitting at my grandmother's bedside during her final moments as a 12 year-old really did prepare me for death. Or maybe I'm just weird.

Sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā!

No comments: